Sorrelle, on Farm Road 102 and Caney Creek four miles northwest of Wharton and one mile southeast of Glen Flora in north central Wharton County, was named for Sorrel Plantation, founded by Richard H. D. Sorrel, which was located in the area before the Civil War. A post office named Sorrella was established in 1894 and discontinued in 1897. The settlement became a station on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway about 1898. In 1905 the local school had two teachers and enrolled 141 black pupils and two White ones; in 1926 it had 114 Black and two White students. State highway maps in 1936 showed the school, two churches, a cemetery, and multiple dwellings at the site. In 1940 the community, then called Sorrels, received mail from Glen Flora and reported two businesses and a population of eighty. In 1989 Sorrelle comprised the churches, a cemetery, the school, and a single business. In 1992 the rail line was discontinued: the tracks, ties, and gravel rail bed were removed and the right-of-way sold or returned to the contingent land owners.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Sorrelle is part of or belongs to the following places:
Sorrelle is classified as a Town
Has Post Office