Sowers

Sowers was eleven miles northwest of Dallas in an area now in Irving in northwestern Dallas County. E. D. Sowers, believed to have settled in the area in 1848 and owner of the first store in the community, gave his name to the post office when it was established in 1881. At that time the community was sometimes called Sowers Store and had the store, a school, and two physicians. By 1884 the town had a population of seventy-five, a church, a school, a doctor, a blacksmith, a druggist, and two steam gristmill-cotton gins. The population rose to 121 before the removal of its post office in 1905 and remained steady throughout the 1930s. Three businesses were located in the community in 1936. The population was thirty in 1956.

Continue Reading

Lisa C. Maxwell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Sowers is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Sowers is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.82846180
Longitude: -96.99334030

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No