Stampede

Stampede is on Stampede Creek and Farm Road 2601, twelve miles northwest of Temple in northern Bell County. The creek's name probably derived from some cattle-driving mishap. The community had a post office from 1883 to 1901 and a general store in 1896. The Stampede school served fifty-nine pupils in 1903. In 1933 Stampede reached a peak population of sixty-two and supported one business. By 1949 the population had fallen to thirty, and the community had a business, the school, and a Baptist church. By 1964 Stampede had only ten inhabitants living in several scattered dwellings. The population was still recorded as ten through 2000.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Stampede is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Stampede is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.28211660
Longitude: -97.40389900

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

6