Stamps

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Upshur County Texas

Stamps, on Farm Road 1649 ten miles northeast of Gilmer in eastern Upshur County, was established after 1900 and named for W. O. Stamps, who purchased a large tract of virgin timberland and established a local sawmill, gin, syrup mill, and canning factory. He also donated lumber for a school, a church, and a Woodmen of the World hall. In the mid-1930s the settlement consisted of a church, two stores, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of the Stamps was a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Stamps was still a dispersed rural community. The population reached forty-five in 2000.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Stamps is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Stamps is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.75763650
Longitude: -94.78798830

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

45