Stansel

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Navarro County

Stansel (Stansell) was a farming community four miles southwest of Dawson in southwestern Navarro County. It was established before 1900 and was named for an early settler. A post office operated there from 1901 to 1903. In the mid-1930s Stansel consisted of a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II its school closed, and by the late 1940s only a store and a church remained; the estimated population in 1947 was thirty. By the mid-1960s Stansel was no longer shown on highway maps.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Stansel is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Stansel is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Stansell]

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No