Stephensboro, a nineteenth-century community, was nine miles north of the site of present Bagwell in northwestern Red River County. Founded in the mid-1860s by Obadiah Stephens, sawmill owner and postmaster, the town appears to have been a thriving community in the early 1870s. At one point it had the sawmill, a furniture factory, and a large tanyard. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railway line from Paris to Texarkana was completed several miles south of Stephensboro, and the town began to decline. The post office was closed in 1879, and by the 1930s the community had disappeared.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Stephensboro is part of or belongs to the following places:
Stephensboro is classified as a Town
Has Post Office