Sterley

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Floyd County

Sterley is on Farm Road 2286 seven miles northeast of Lockney in northwest Floyd County. It began around 1927–28, when the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway was built through the area, and was named for W. F. Sterley, the general agent for the railroad. Early businesses included a post office, established in December 1928, Harvey House restaurant, and a depot. A grocery store was established in 1934 by the Howell family. By 1948 the town had a population of ninety, a post office, a school, railroad shops, and two churches. The community was at the junction of two branches of the Fort Worth and Denver City in a predominantly agricultural region. In 1980 Sterley reported a population of seventy-five. A gin and large elevator were still in operation, although the post office had closed in February 1969. In 1990 the population was estimated at ten.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Nancy D. Henderson
Adoption Message: In honor of those who worked the railroad and those who tilled the soil
Until: August 16th, 2024

Belongs to

Sterley is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Sterley is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 34.21118220
Longitude: -101.39766220

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

31