Stormville

Stormville is a rural community on Farm Road 2225 a mile west of Lake Fork Reservoir and seven miles north of Quitman in northwestern Wood County. By 1878 the community had a post office called Stormville, probably after W. Storm, who at one time owned a flour mill and gin there. By 1884 the community had a population of fifty, and in 1896 it reported some ten businesses, including a blacksmith and carpenter, three masons, two physicians, a gristmill and gin, and two teachers (including a music teacher). Stormville had twenty-eight White students in its one-teacher school in 1905. That same year the post office closed. By the 1930s Stormville comprised a number of dwellings along country roads and the school, which in 1932 reported an enrollment of thirty-six White students in eight grades. Though by the early 1960s Stormville had all but disappeared, by 1980 a few structures existed in the area, and the 1988 county highway map showed a church at the community.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Stormville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Stormville is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.89095630
Longitude: -95.48911990

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No