Straws Mill

Straw's Mill was four miles south of Gatesville on the Leon River in east central Coryell County. It was first known as Cox's Mill, for Joe Cox, who had a water-powered corn mill. It was renamed for Henry Straw and his sons, George Warren and Charles H., who moved from New Hampshire and settled on the Leon River in 1870. The family operated a flour mill, gin, store, and blacksmith shop. George Warren Straw, a Republican, was first postmaster in 1886; during the Grover Cleveland administration the office moved across the river to Democrat Richard A. Culp's store and continued to move back and forth with changes of administration until the post office was discontinued in 1908. At that time local mail was sent to Gatesville. The Straw's Mill community reported a population of 110 in 1900. The old mill was washed away in 1908 by a flood on the Leon River. During World War II the Straw estate was included in the North Camp section of the Fort Hood military reservation.

Continue Reading

Zelma Scott | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Straws Mill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Straws Mill is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Straw's -]
  • (Cox's Mill)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No