Swedenborg Settlers Colony

Hanover is at the intersection of Farm roads 2095 and 3242, ten miles southeast of Cameron in eastern Milam County. Local sources claim that in the 1880s this location was the site of the Swedenborg Settlers colony, an experiment in community living somewhat like La RĂ©union. When the venture failed, most of the participants dispersed. Hanover, which was granted a post office in 1890, may have been named by German settlers for their former home. The community had a gristmill and gin, a general store, and twenty-five residents by 1892. In 1903 Hanover was served by the Prairie Point schools, which had two teachers for sixty-nine White students and two teachers for eighty-nine Black students. The schools were consolidated with the Liberty school district in 1920 and with the Milano school district in 1931. The Hanover post office was discontinued in 1906. A church and a business at the community were marked on 1988 county highway maps, and twenty-seven residents were reported in 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Swedenborg Settlers Colony is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Swedenborg Settlers Colony is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hanover)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No