Share This Page

Swenson, an uncorporated community at the intersection of U.S. Highway 380 and Farm Road 1646, in west central Stonewall County, was laid out in 1908 by Thomas C. Hoy in anticipation of the arrival of the Stamford and Northwestern Railway and dedicated in 1910. Pioneers included Thomas C. Hoy, John W. Hoy, Theo Hoy, Jim Gregory, R. T. Green, and W. H. Billinsley. The town was named for Swante M. Swenson, a prominent rancher. In 1910 rail service began on the Stamford and Northwestern, and by 1912 Swenson had a post office, two hotels, a bank, and other businesses. The school was established in 1908. Local students began attending Aspermont schools in 1943, and the school board voted to officially consolidate the two districts in 1944. The population was 175 in 1920 and 400 in 1940, when the town had twenty businesses. Afterward the town declined. Of the three churches, Baptist, Methodist, and Church of Christ, only the last remained in 1980. The post office was closed in the early 1960s, and by 1979 there were only three businesses left, two gas stations and a grocery. The reported population was 185 in 1980 through 2000. By 2009 the population was estimated at 90.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Swenson is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Swenson is classified as a Town


Latitude: 33.20703890
Longitude: -100.31205280

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Swenson by the Numbers

This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."

Pop. Year Source
80 2009 Local Officials