Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Freestone County

Union, formerly known as Tacker, is a rural community on Farm Road 489 seven miles southwest of Teague in southwestern Freestone County. In 1860 Jacob W. Tacker donated two acres for a school and a cemetery, and the area became known as the Tacker community. A church was built in 1866; it was also used as a school. In 1891 a second structure, the Union Church, was built on the property, and the community and the cemetery were renamed Union. Forty-five White pupils were enrolled in the school in 1893, but by 1903 there were only eleven. In the 1930s the community had the cemetery, the church, and a number of scattered dwellings. A brick chapel was built there in 1962, and the Union Cemetery received a historical marker in 1968. In the 1960s and into the late 1980s only the cemetery and a few scattered dwellings remained.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Tacker is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Tacker is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Union)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated