Tell, in southwestern Childress County, was founded in 1887. It was originally known as Lee and later as Tell-Tale Flat. Miss Janie Roberts taught the first school, which was located just south of the present site. In 1888 the first post office was opened in the dugout home of Belle Garrison, who served as postmistress. In 1905 federal postal authorities shortened the name to Tell. The following year Richard A. Sandifer opened a general store, R. A. Hawkins built the first cotton gin, and Jim Fox had a grocery and drugstore. The school was moved to its present site in 1912 and subsequently became noted for its champion baseball team. By 1916 several other businesses and four churches had been established. Tell State Bank operated from 1916 to 1934, when it merged with the state bank in Childress. Improved transportation facilities and other influences eventually robbed Tell of most of its businesses. In 1963 its school district was consolidated with that of Childress, and the vacated brick building was turned into a community center. By 1984 Tell had a store, a cotton gin, and two churches. Its population dwindled during the latter half of the twentieth century. In the early 2000s Tell had about fifteen residents.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Tell is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Tell is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Tale Flat]
  • (Lee)
  • (Myrtle)
  • (Poverty Flat)
  • (Rothwell)
  • (Ruby)


Latitude: 34.37589760
Longitude: -100.39484050

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Tell by the Numbers

This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."

Pop. Year Source
20 2014 Official Website