Tigerville

Tigerville is on Farm Road 3277 eighty-five miles north of Houston in northwestern Polk County. James and Jerusha Andress, former residents of Alabama, settled in the area in 1845. The farming community that subsequently grew up there was known as Andressville, after the early family. Just to the south was another community, known as Tigerville. Although the two communities had separate schools, many settlers viewed them as the same place. Stores, gins, and gristmills attracted the business of local farmers. The little agricultural center's Trinity River bottomlands were inundated when the river was dammed in 1968 to form Lake Livingston to the south.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Tigerville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Tigerville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Andressville)

Location

Latitude: 30.70269410
Longitude: -95.07382580

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No