Tintop (originally Tin Top) is a tiny country-store community at the intersection of Farm roads 1095 and 521, fourteen miles southwest of Bay City in southwestern Matagorda County. It was named after the roofing material of its buildings. Tin Top, which originally consisted of a cotton gin and a country store, was founded around 1929 to provide services to area farmers after the end of similar services in Simpsonville, a mile to the east, which had been bypassed by the county road. By 1936 Tin Top included a business and a few dwellings, and by 1952 a few occupied dwellings remained there. A 1972 map showed a few new dwellings at the site. A local history reports that in the 1980s the Tintop land was owned by one U. S. McMillan and that the community consisted of a country store and a few houses. At that time the South Texas Project (formerly known as the South Texas Nuclear Project) operated a few miles to the east.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Tintop is part of or belongs to the following places:
Tintop is classified as a Town
- [Tin Top]
Has Post Office