Tobey was off Farm Road 1431 near the Southern Pacific line and six miles from Marble Falls in southwestern Burnet County. It began in the early 1870s and was named for two brothers, Samuel J. and Avery Tobey. On March 26, 1875, the Tobeys and James Boyles deeded land to John M. Wood, John Climer, and N. J. Smith, trustees for the Christian Church, to build a church and school. On October 8, 1887, the Tobeys deeded the land to trustees of the Tobey schoolhouse, with the stipulation that it be used by the Church of Christ for religious services and for education. By 1937 the Tobey congregation had stopped meeting, though possibly some of its members had changed their place of worship to nearby Fairland. That congregation by 1944 had moved to Marble Falls; eventually the Tobey building was torn down and moved there. The Tobey school was in Burnet County school district no. 17; its building was near the Tobey Cemetery. The school district was consolidated with neighboring Fairland district no. 18 in 1937, and in 1944 with Marble Falls. All that remains of the old Tobey community is the cemetery, which bears a Texas Historical Commission marker. The cemetery was begun in March 1872, when N. W. Tobey, son of Samuel J. and Martha E. Tobey, was buried there. In the 1980s it was still in use. A cemetery association was established in 1964 for its preservation.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Tobey is part of or belongs to the following places:
Tobey is classified as a Town
Has Post Office