Tolar

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Hood County

Tolar is on U.S. Highway 377 seven miles southwest of Granbury in southwestern Hood County. It was first settled around 1890, when the tracks of the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway reached the area. The community was named by W. L. McGaughey in honor of his friend Alf Tolar, who lived in Abilene. A post office opened at the community in 1890, and within the decade Tolar had established itself as a trade center for area farmers and ranchers. In addition to a gin, a general store, and a blacksmith shop, Tolar provided its estimated 171 residents with two churches and an elementary school. Its population had reached 460 by 1914, and by the mid-1920s Tolar had a high school, a bank, a weekly newspaper, and some six other businesses. Several buildings in Tolar are made of petrified wood found in the area; in 1969 collecting and shipping this material was a local industry. For a time the population declined because of the Great Depression, World War II, and the growth of nearby Fort Worth. In the mid-1960s Tolar had an estimated 283 residents and five businesses, and in the mid-1970s its population rose above 300 for the first time since the 1950s. During the late 1980s Tolar reported 415 residents, and in 1990, some 523. The population was 504 in 2000.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Hugo Nicolas Sibrian
Honor Tolar TX
Until: July 9th, 2026

Belongs to

Tolar is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Tolar is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Squaw Creek Station)

Location

Latitude: 32.38928380
Longitude: -97.91885000

Has Post Office

Yes

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2021 View more »

989