Towles

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Van Zandt County

Towles, a farming community on Farm Road 1651 six miles south of Canton in south central Van Zandt County, had a post office as early as 1878, and continuously from 1886 to 1891. Thereafter mail was delivered from Grand Saline. The town may have been named for Capt. Thomas Jefferson Towles, legislator and leader in the Van Zandt county-seat war. The Towles community had a Farmers' Alliance organization but was not shown on the 1930s county highway maps and subsequently disappeared.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Towles is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Towles is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [2]

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No