Towns

Towns, also spelled Tauns, was a ranch community on Las Moras Creek a mile east of U.S. Highway 277 in far northwestern Maverick County. Sometime around 1880 John Tauns, for whom the community was named, established a ranch on Las Moras Creek. Local tradition suggests that he was one of many runaway slaves who had gravitated to the United States-Mexico border area during the Civil War era. The ranch, described as a small town with a school and a store, was a social center for a growing community of ranchers in the area; gatherings for horse racing, barbecues, and dancing were a common holiday event. In 1897 the Towns School had seventeen black pupils and one teacher. By 1936 the community had been abandoned; the ranch at that time was the domicile of the Ory James family.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Towns is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Towns is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Tauns]

Location

Latitude: 29.03477000
Longitude: -100.61297600

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No