Trinity Mills

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Dallas County

Trinity Mills was on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River two miles northwest of Carrollton in northwest Dallas County. The site was on the land grant of A. W. Perry. It was settled in 1853 and originally named Witt's Mill for a gristmill owned by brothers Preston and Wade H. Witt and A. W. Perry. Perry sold his interest in the mill, and the Witt brothers continued its operation through the 1850s. A local post office was established in 1858 and was discontinued and reopened four times before its termination in 1915. By 1860 James M. Kennedy had become a full partner in Trinity Mills, which also had a store.

In 1878 the Dallas-Wichita Railroad was constructed through Trinity Mills, and the community subsequently developed as a cattle-shipping center. Three years later it had a general store, a physician, a druggist, and twenty-six farmers. By 1884 the community had a population of 150, two churches, a school, and a Western Union telegraph office. Six years later Trinity Mills had a population of fifty, a nursery, a mineral-water dealer, a safe business, and a farm import business. By 1915 the community had declined to two stores, and in 1930 the population stood at thirty-five. Trinity Mills subsequently became part of Carrollton.

Continue Reading

Matthew Hayes Nall, Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Trinity Mills is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Trinity Mills is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Poor's Mill)
  • (Witt's Mill)

Location

Latitude: 32.98151200
Longitude: -96.92750500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No