Truby, on Farm Road 707 and the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, eight miles south of Anson in south central Jones County, was in the area settled by ranchers W. F. and George Scarborough in 1878. A school opened that year at Truby Mound, three miles east of the present site, but the first store did not open until 1908. Truby was off the railroad and major highway routes. It had a population of fifty-six and two businesses in 1940. By 1968 the estimated number of residents had declined to twenty-six, where it remained through 2000.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Truby is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Truby is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Mont-]
  • (Eaton)
  • (Longorio)
  • (Newsom)
  • (Webbville)


Latitude: 32.64539590
Longitude: -99.92537350

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2014