Tupelo

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Navarro County

Tupelo, a farming community on Farm Road 1603 seven miles northeast of Corsicana in northeastern Navarro County, was first settled around the time of the Civil War and was named for Tupelo, Mississippi. A post office operated there from 1901 to 1906. During the mid-1930s Tupelo had two churches, a school, a cotton gin, a store, and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was twenty-five. After World War II most of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a church and scattered houses remained. No recent population estimates are available.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Tupelo is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Tupelo is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Cody)
  • (Locket)

Location

Latitude: 32.21292640
Longitude: -96.43776110

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No