Turnerville was a company rice-growing town on a road later locally known as the Oyster Lake Road, south of Collegeport in southwestern Matagorda County. It was founded in 1922 by the Turner Rice and Irrigation Company (also called the E. W. Turner Irrigation Company), and its residents consisted largely of rice farmers brought in by the company to work the land near DeMoss. Turnerville included a number of houses built for Black workmen; it also had at least six businesses, including a blacksmith shop, a bakery, a general store, and a rice warehouse. The settlement apparently did not last long, though the 1936 county highway map shows a number of dwellings and four businesses about a mile southeast of Collegeport. After Turnerville was abandoned, a lunch stand, a drugstore, and a home for senior citizens stood at the site until Hurricane Carla destroyed them in 1961.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Turnerville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Turnerville is classified as a Town


Latitude: 28.68060700
Longitude: -96.16362300

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated