Underwood

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Delta County

Underwood, also known as Honest, was a farming community on the East Fork of Jernigan Creek five miles south of Pecan Gap and just east of Jot 'Em Down in western Delta County. The area was settled by 1900, when the Honest post office was established there. The name came from local resident Saint Thompson, who took it from a tin of Honest Snuff. The Honest community failed to prosper, and in 1905 its post office was closed. By 1915 the property had become part of the Underwood Farm, a large tenant-farming operation (see FARM TENANCY). That year the Underwood School, one of the last organized in the county, was established for the tenants' children. The community was not shown on the 1936 county highway map, and the school was consolidated into the Pecan Gap district in 1949.

Continue Reading

Vista K. McCroskey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Underwood is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Underwood is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Honest)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No