Union Bluff

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Hill County

Union Bluff, originally known as Lexington, was located near Hillsboro in Hill County. In the winter of 1851–52 John M. and David Crockett Wornell left Rusk County for what would become Hill County. Their sister and brother-in-law, Mary Ann and Harrison Ables, and six children accompanied them. They bought a half-section of land from Jack Broyles on Grove Creek, thereafter called Jack's Branch. After they built two log cabins, D. C. Wornell, then fifteen years old, returned to Rusk County for a load of stock to set up a store, one of the first in the area. The settlers named the budding settlement Lexington. It soon had a post office, a boardinghouse, and a log jail. Hill County was organized at Lexington on May 14, 1853; at the time there were 150 eligible voters in the county. The first county court was held on May 25, 1853, at the home of Harrison Ables and operated there until special elections for a permanent county seat were held in September. Hillsboro was selected as the permanent county seat by a margin of three votes. Thereafter, as population slowly shifted and transportation improved, the town of Lexington declined. It had a school and a church for a number of years. The name Union Bluff was given to the school, and it gradually became the popular name of the area. School enrollment surpassed 100 in 1905. Sometime thereafter the school building was moved to Hillsboro, but it continued to serve as an elementary school until it closed in 1951. The old schoolhouse was destroyed in 1975 or 1976. In 1965 a Texas Historical Marker was placed at the site of old Lexington.

Continue Reading

Nauty Byrd Pelphrey Mayer | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Union Bluff is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Union Bluff is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Lexington)

Location

Latitude: 31.98710050
Longitude: -97.17056310

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No