Union Hill

Share This Page

Bath, originally called Possum Walk, was a community on Farm Road 1374 eight miles west of Interstate Highway 45 in southwestern Walker County. The Union Hill Baptist Church was established there in 1872. The Possum Walk community changed its name to Bath when its post office was established in 1887; James H. Bell served as the first postmaster. Bath reported twenty-five residents in 1892 and forty in 1896. The Union Hill church building served as both a place of worship and a schoolhouse until a separate facility for the school was provided in 1899. Around 1900 two cotton gins, a gristmill, and a sawmill operated at Bath. The post office closed in 1905. In 1911 the community still had its school, which had seven grades, and the church. As late as 1936 Bath persisted as a community of scattered farm dwellings clustered around the school and church. By the early 1990s only the Union Hill Baptist Church and a cemetery remained.

Continue Reading

James L. Hailey | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Union Hill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Union Hill is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Bath 1)


Latitude: 30.59908700
Longitude: -95.62494530

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated