Val Verde

Val Verde is on Farm Road 437 sixteen miles west of Cameron in western Milam County. It was established in 1868 and named for the Civil War battle of Valverde in New Mexico, in which two companies from Milam County participated. James Pittman Whittington donated land for a church and a cemetery at the community. In 1903 Val Verde had a one-teacher school for twenty-six students. The Val Verde school district was consolidated with the Sharp district in 1941, but it withdrew from Sharp in 1961 and divided itself between the Holland and Rogers districts in Bell County. Val Verde had a population of twenty-five in 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Val Verde is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Val Verde is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.83435570
Longitude: -97.24777410

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

25