Vealmoor

Vealmoor, at the intersection of Farm roads 1584 and 1784, on the northwestern border of Howard County, was probably named for Mrs. Minnie Slaughter Veal, an early settler. The community most likely originated in 1880, when Christopher Columbus Slaughter established his ranch headquarters at German Springs, just east of the site of present Vealmoor. By 1926 Vealmoor had a post office, and Mae Zant was postmaster. The community by 1947 reported one business and twenty residents. Its population reached a high of 190 in 1966, and the number of businesses grew to four. By 1980 Vealmoor no longer had a post office, and its population had fallen to 179, with one business. Through 2000 its population was still reported as 179.

Continue Reading

Noel Wiggins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Vealmoor is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Vealmoor is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.52066730
Longitude: -101.57040990

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

5