Verdina

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Medina County

Verdina is fourteen miles northeast of Hondo in north central Medina County. Its name was probably adapted from that of nearby Verde Creek. Community members built a schoolhouse on land owned by Henry Saathoff and organized the Verdina school district in October 1903. The post office opened in 1908, with Otto Henry Brucks as postmaster. Around 1919 a modern schoolhouse was built on property owned by John G. Brucks on the Bandera road. In the mid-1920s area ranchers raised cattle, goats, hogs, and turkeys. The Verdina Card Club, organized in 1939, held regular monthly card parties-complete with barbecue and ice cream-at the schoolhouse until as recently as 1983. The town hall was all that remained of Verdina in 1987.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Verdina is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Verdina is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.48391400
Longitude: -99.06815400

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No