Vessey (or Vesey), nine miles northeast of Clarksville in northern Red River County, was settled by members of the Garrett Igo family, who came from Kentucky about 1850. Walter H. Colvert secured a post office in his general store in 1899, and the community had a population of 100 in 1910. Lumber and shingle plants and a gin were in operation before 1915. The post office was discontinued in 1930, and mail was sent to Clarksville. In 1930 and 1940 one business and twenty residents were reported. In 1984 the village consisted of a few widely scattered houses, and in 1990 the population was fourteen. The population remained the same in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Vessey is part of or belongs to the following places:
Vessey is classified as a Town
- (Harvey's Mill)
Has Post Office
Vessey by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."