Sedwick is near the intersection of State Highway 6 and Farm Road 2312, nine miles southeast of Albany and five miles northwest of Moran in Shackelford County. It was originally known as Vesta when it was founded about 1875. The name was changed to honor local landowner John Francis Sedwick when the community became a station on the Texas Central Railroad. A cotton gin was built about 1900, and a post office was established in 1905 with Maude S. Randolph as postmistress. Sedwick grew suddenly when oil was discovered nearby in 1921, although by 1940 the population was only fifty, where it remained for about twenty years before declining. The post office closed in the mid-1930s. The community was still listed in 1990.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Vesta is part of or belongs to the following places:
Vesta is classified as a Town
Has Post Office