Vienna

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Lavaca County

Vienna is on Farm Road 530 near the Navidad River ten miles east of Hallettsville in southeastern Lavaca County. It was settled by Anglo-American planters in 1840. John Mixon established a store and post office and suggested the town's name. Gen. John W. Whitfield, one of the first settlers, organized Whitfield's Legion during the Civil War. In 1868 German and Bohemian immigrants settled along the river. Pat Carvell donated land for a school built in 1880, and Louis Teltschick built a gin and sawmill. On June 30, 1940, the Navidad overflowed and flooded all the buildings near its banks. In 1980 through 2000 the community reported a population of forty.

Continue Reading

Evelyn Turk | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Vienna is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Vienna is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.37830040
Longitude: -96.79247790

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

40