Vilas

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Bell County

Vilas is on Farm Road 2268 sixteen miles southeast of Temple in southeastern Bell County. It was founded in the 1880s, most likely by Czech settlers, and a post office called Povilas functioned in the community from 1888 to 1906. In 1890 the settlement, by then called Vilas, had two general stores and two mills. By 1896 Vilas had Methodist, Baptist, and Disciples of Christ churches. The Vilas school had forty-nine pupils and one teacher in 1903. By the 1940s Vilas had shrunk to a small community of twenty-five inhabitants and the school. In 1964 the population had declined to ten residents in several scattered dwellings. The community was still shown on county highway maps in 2000 and in 2011 the population was approximately 15 residents.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Vilas is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Vilas is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Villas]
  • (Grover)
  • (Povilas)

Location

Latitude: 30.84102180
Longitude: -97.30360970

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No