Vincent

Vincent, on Farm Road 846 in the northeastern corner of Howard County, was named for its first settler, Vincent Vinson, who arrived there in 1892. The townsite was laid out in 1908, and a year later the Vincent Baptist Missionary Church was built. Small grains were the major crop planted near the town during its early years. In 1928 Vincent had twenty inhabitants, and by 1936 its population had grown to seventy-five; at that time the town had a post office and two businesses. The population remained at seventy-five in 1947 and 1956, but by 1966 it had jumped to 540. In 1980 it was 500. The population growth was probably stimulated by development of the Vincent oilfield three miles northeast of town. Through 2000 Vincent still reported 500 residents.

Continue Reading

Noel Wiggins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Vincent is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Vincent is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Vinson]

Location

Latitude: 32.48178070
Longitude: -101.22567860

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

10