Wagram is near Spice Creek just north of Ranch Road 386 and three miles southwest of Fredonia in northern Mason County. It was settled shortly after Fredonia, probably between 1865 and 1870, by German and Anglo families. Originally it was called Blue Stretch, supposedly so named by early settler Dick Barton. The community was renamed Wagram when Cap Bellows established the first post office on January 22, 1906, and became the first postmaster. The town also once had a combination school and church, cotton and flour mill, gin, general store, and millinery establishment. In the 1930s the store burned and the community began to decline. The church moved away, and the school was consolidated with that of nearby Fredonia. As of 1939 nothing remained but the old Church of Christ building, which was used as a polling place through the late 1970s. The population was estimated at five in 1933 and rose to twenty by 1939. It remained at this number until 1948. Since then the Texas Almanac has not included a population estimate for Wagram.

Continue Reading

Alice J. Rhoades | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Wagram is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Wagram is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Adullam)
  • (Blue Stretch)


Latitude: 30.89545070
Longitude: -99.13171860

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated