Waketon

Waketon was twelve miles south of Denton in Denton County and was originally part of the Chinn's Chapel settlement. The settlement was established in 1853 by Elisha Chinn in an area that had supported settlers since 1845. It consisted of three small communities-Shiloh, Bartonville, and Waketon. Waketon was named for Simpson Wakefield, a farmer from Tennessee. The community existed for just under 100 years. By the late 1940s Waketon's twenty residents could no longer support the town, and by 1950 it had ceased to exist.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Waketon is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Waketon is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Wakefield's]

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No