McCulloch was on the Red River sixteen miles from Clarksville in northern Red River County. The community was first named Walnut Grove when the post office opened in 1878. When the post office was moved to the general store of J. W. McCulloch in 1891, the name of the settlement was changed to McCulloch. In 1896, although the reported population of McCulloch was only twenty-five, the community had two churches, a district school, a Mason, a doctor, a dentist, and a lawyer. Businesses in the vicinity included two shingle mills, two gristmills, two cotton gins, and two general stores. The post office was closed in 1914, and by 1936 McCulloch no longer existed as a named community.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Walnut Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:
Walnut Grove is classified as a Town
Has Post Office