Walter

Walter was near the site where present-day Farm Road 834 and State Highway 146 join, fifty miles west of Beaumont in east central Liberty County. The community grew up around Walter Abshire's general store and post office, established in 1907 on the newly constructed Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway. The Walter post office was moved one mile east to the larger townsite of Hardin and renamed in 1920. Scattered residences and businesses, now part of Hardin, mark the old Walter site. Numerous oilfields are also present throughout the surrounding countryside.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Walter is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Walter is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hardin)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No