Webb

Webb is just off Interstate Highway 35, twenty miles north of Laredo in Webb County. It was established as a shipping point on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1881 and in 1890 had a station on the San Antonio division of the railroad. The town derived its name from that of the county. A Webb post office, established in 1909, was still in operation in 1980. In 1914 the community had a population of 100 and a telephone connection. Hugh Larimer ran a general store, C. H. Clifton was a prominent cattle breeder, and J. E. Hill was the grocer. In 1936 Webb had a population of twenty-five and two businesses. A Webb school was operating in 1942. The population rose by 1957 to forty and remained at that number until 1982; during this time the community supported two businesses. In 1990 the population was still a recorded forty.

Continue Reading

Karen Gratke | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Webb is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Webb is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 27.79251090
Longitude: -99.42281490

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No