Webberville

Webberville is on Farm Road 969 fifteen miles east of Austin in eastern Travis County. The post office, which was established in 1846, was named Webber's Prairie in honor of John F. Webber, who received a land grant in the area in 1832 and settled there with his African American wife, Silvia Hector Webber, but it was sometimes referred to as Smithwick's, for Noah Smithwick, who served as the first postmaster. The name was changed to Webberville in 1853. By the mid-1880s Webberville had steam gristmills and cotton gins, two churches, a school, four general stores, and 200 residents; cotton and livestock were the principal commodities shipped from the area. In 1900 the population was reported at 382. The post office at Webberville was discontinued in 1903, and mail for the community was sent to Manor. The Webberville schools were consolidated with the Hornsby-Dunlap common school district in 1951. The population of the community was estimated at fifty from the 1940s through 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Susan Hensley
In memory of The Houston, Barnhill & Wise Family
Until: December 24th, 2024

Belongs to

Webberville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Webberville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Webber's Prairie]
  • (Smithwick's)

Location

Latitude: 30.22612110
Longitude: -97.49953100

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2021 View more »

416