Wentworth

Wentworth was a rural retail center for farmers in central Van Zandt County two miles northeast of Canton and just north of Farm Road 1255 and Interstate 20. According to some sources it was named for Wentworth Manning, kinsman of William Manning who moved to the area in 1859 as a surveyor and newspaper editor. The population reached thirty in the 1930s, and in 1936 the community had a church, one business, and scattered dwellings. Wentworth school was consolidated with the Canton Independent School District in 1949. The population of Wentworth was last recorded at thirty-two in 1974, and by 1987 only a church remained at the site. The population remained at thirty-two in 2000.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Wentworth is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Wentworth is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Carew)
  • (Monico)

Location

Latitude: 32.57319030
Longitude: -95.80579850

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No