Westbrook

Westbrook was 3½ miles southeast of Winnsboro on what later became Farm Road 852 in northeast Wood County. Established near the older communities of Smyrna and Coldwater, Westbrook was probably named for Samuel Westbrook, who brought his family from Rusk County around 1880 and donated land to found a Methodist church. Though nothing is known of the first church building, the second had two stories, and the second floor was used as a lodge hall. In 1896 Westbrook had a one-teacher school for thirty-six White students, and by 1905 the number of students was fifty-eight. In the mid-1930s Westbrook had a church, a school, and scattered dwellings, but by 1960 the church and school had disappeared, and all that remained at the site were a few scattered dwellings.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Westbrook is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Westbrook is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Smyrna)

Location

Latitude: 32.92512460
Longitude: -95.24494330

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No