Whiteflat was a rural community located on Interstate Highway 20 fourteen miles east of Sweetwater in northeastern Nolan County. It was established between 1885 and 1890 by homesteaders, who named it Whiteflat because the long grass growing on the flat land appeared to turn white at dusk. In the early part of the 1900s eighty to eighty-five families lived at Whiteflat. The Elm Creek School District was established in the area in 1900 and had three schools by 1908. The three schools combined into one school, Whiteflat School, by 1916. In 1926 as many as 120 students, both White and Black, attended Whiteflat School. The schools also served as places for worship, voting, and parties. In 1936 the old Whiteflat School was torn down and a more modern building was constructed about 100 feet from the original school. This building was used until 1949, when the school consolidated with the Trent Independent School District. By the mid-1980s the site of the town was no longer inhabited.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Whiteflat is part of or belongs to the following places:
Whiteflat is classified as a Town
Has Post Office