Whitfield

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Swisher County

Whitfield is in southeastern Swisher County. It began about 1891, when a store and post office opened, and was named for an early settler. A Baptist congregation began meeting that year at the home of J. M. Lovvorn, but it was not formally organized until 1900. At its peak the village had a Baptist and a Methodist church, each with a half-time pastor. The two-room Price school provided formal education for the area's youth. Whitfield went into decline after the post office was discontinued in 1919. After the Price school was consolidated with the Kress school in 1948, the building was turned into a community center. The last official population listing for Whitfield was fifteen in 1947. In 1962 the Baptist church moved to nearby Claytonville. In the mid-1980s only a church and the community center remained.

Continue Reading

Thelma Hall | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Whitfield is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Whitfield is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Price)

Location

Latitude: 34.34362600
Longitude: -101.54428500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No