Whittenburg

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Hutchinson County

Whittenburg, in southern Hutchinson County one mile northeast of Borger, was founded in 1926 by rancher James A. Whittenburg to cash in on the impending oil boom. It was meant to house employees of the Phillips Petroleum Company, which began constructing its first Panhandle plant nearby, the Alamo Refinery. As the boom increased, shanties and overcrowded rooming houses were soon replaced by more permanent houses and businesses. A post office was established in 1926, churches were founded, and a school system was organized. By 1936 Whittenburg reported a population of 200. In the meantime the neighboring community of Pantex, which had a modern hospital facility and for a brief time its own post office, reported a population of fifty. In 1938 the two townsites voted to merge under the name of Phillips.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Whittenburg is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Whittenburg is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Phillips)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No