Wilkins, also known as Wilkins Mills, on U.S. Highway 80 twelve miles southwest of Gilmer in southwestern Upshur County, was first settled in the late 1870s as a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway. The town was originally known as Wilkins Mills, and a post office under that name operated in 1879–80. The name was later shortened to Wilkins. A second post office opened in 1903 but closed the following year. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of two stores and a number of houses. After World War II the stores were closed, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Wilkins was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was seventy-five.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Wilkins is part of or belongs to the following places:
Wilkins is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Wilkins by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."