William Harris Reservoir

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Brazoria County

Harris Reservoir, also known as William Harris Reservoir, is eight miles northwest of Angleton in the San Jacinto-Brazos coastal basin in Brazoria County (at 29°15' N, 95°32' W). The reservoir was named for early settler William Harris, who was granted land in what is now Brazoria County in 1824. Harris Reservoir is an off-channel project between the Brazos River and Oyster Creek, owned and operated by the Dow Chemical Company as an industrial water supply for several plants near Freeport. Construction of the project, engineered by Lockwood and Andrews, was completed in July 1947. The reservoir has a normal capacity of 12,000 acre-feet and a surface area of 1,663 acres at normal maximum water surface elevation of forty-three feet above mean sea level. Water is obtained for the reservoir by pumping from the Brazos River and is released from the reservoir by gravity flow to Oyster Creek. From there it is distributed by canal for use at the industrial plants.

Continue Reading

Seth D. Breeding | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

William Harris Reservoir is part of or belongs to the following places:

Lake Measurements

  • Surface Area (in acres): 1,663
  • Storage Capacity (in acre-feet): 9,200

Lake Maintained or Owned by

Dow Chemical Co.

Date of Origin

1947 (77 years ago)

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

William Harris Reservoir is classified as a Lake

Purpose

  • Industry

Associated Names

  • [Harris Reservoir]