Thicket, deep in the Big Thicket fourteen miles northwest of Kountze in Hardin County, grew up in 1901 around a flag stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. D. J. Williams, G. W. Brown, and H. P. Geisendorf owned the original sawmill at Thicket. They operated the mill from 1904 until 1917, when it was dismantled and sold, along with all of the housing. A post office opened in Thicket in 1906. Two other mills operated in the community in the early 1920s, one owned by H. P. Geisendorf and the other by D. L. Williams, son of the original owner. After abandonment of the mill site, the post office was moved to White Oak, two miles away. The population of Thicket was estimated at forty in 1939, fifty in 1945, and 306 in 1972 through 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Williams is part of or belongs to the following places:
Williams is classified as a Town
Has Post Office