Wonders, also known as Wander's and Venice, was a rural community sixteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches on Wonders Creek in northeastern Nacogdoches County. The area was first settled around 1858. During the early 1870s a small town grew up around a general store run by a man named Poter. The community was originally known as Venice, but when a post office was established in 1871 the name Wonders was adopted. Both names were evidently used for a time, but eventually Wonders became more common. By 1885 Wonders had four churches, a public school, four general stores, several cotton gins and gristmills, a blacksmith, and an estimated 130 residents. It began to decline during the 1890s; the post office closed in 1893, and many of the businesses closed. By the 1930s only a school, a church, and a few houses remained. After World War II most of the remaining residents moved away, and in the early 1990s Wonders was a ghost town.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Wonders is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Wonders is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Wander's]
  • (Greenwood)
  • (Venice)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated