Wyatt

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Ellis County

Wyatt was located on U.S. Highway 67 five miles southwest of Midlothian in Ellis County, one mile east of the Johnson county line. Early settlers in the area were E. K. Ward and J. F. Burks. The center of the community was a wooden structure built in 1884 which served as a school, a church, and a lodge. This building later burned. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe reached Wyatt in 1887. A store and a gin operated in the town, and a post office delivered mail from 1888 until 1906. In 1895 Wyatt reported a church, a school, six businesses, and a population of 100. Highway maps in 1948 indicated a church, a school, several businesses, and scattered rural dwellings at the site.

Continue Reading

Jeffrey Pilchiek | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Wyatt is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Wyatt is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Switch]

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No